I pOuRed SpOt ReMovEr oN My dog. NOw hE's gOnE.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Escape prt 2. Home

Alice shut the door and immediately began looking for wet rags and bandages. She opened the hall cupboard and browsed on the top glass shelves. She reached her first aid kit and quickly ran to the sink with some towels. “Oliver! Please come help me!”
Alice’s son Oliver rushed to his mother’s side, and was rapidly given the rags. Both of them rushed back through the hall and into the front room. ‘Crash’ Oliver tripped over the piano leg and lay sprawled on the floor.
“Oh my, this is too much today, too much” said Alice as she set down the bandages on the coffee table beside her husband, who was lying on the couch. “I’m okay really ma!” Alice helped her son up and looked over the mess of her plant vase. The vase lay in scattered clay pieces on the floor. The vase was a wedding gift, one of the few they were allowed to keep after the war.

Alice startled by a quiet moan from her husband, went to his aid. She lightly dabbed his bloodstained face. He had one cut from his upper temple, and another bash on is forehead which looked like he’d been hit with some sort of club.
Ben slowly opened his eyes to see his wife Alice intensely staring at him and wrapping a bandage around his head. He gently reached up and stroked a tear away from her cheek. Alice gave a slight smile, and a feeling of relief came over her. “How are you feeling?” she whispered. Ben gently closed his eyes and answered “Fine.”.
Oliver skipped over and knelt down by his father and they started a small conversation as Alice went to the kitchen and started dinner.

“It’s baked chicken, potatoes, and corn soup tonight!” yelled Alice through the kitchen door way. Ben and Oliver who were now sitting up on the couch and listening music, stood up and walked into the dining room.
Oliver sat down on his usual side, and Ben began to help serve food by Alice. “When are you going to tell me what has happened?” muttered Alice so only Ben could hear. Ben stood motionless. He remembered stepping out of his office and walking to the outside alley. Then he was lying on his front room couch, having his wife bandage him and cleaning blood marks from his body. “I’m sorry, I don’t remember.” he answered finally.
Alice paused of serving a spoonful of soup into her son’s bowl. “What do you mean you don’t know?” she quickly glanced back at her husband and continued to spoon soup into bowls. “I stepped outside and then I was on our couch, what was in between there I don’t know.” Ben said. He felt his wife’s confusion and frustration, he wanted to know as much as her about what happened, but he couldn’t quite remember.

“Bizarre.” Alice said blankly “We’ll talk about it later.” she added. They both walked into the dining room with full plates. Alice set down a plate and a bowl of food in front of Oliver. “Put your music pod away at the dinner table please.” she said as she sat down.
Oliver gave his mother a sour face. “Oliver, I don’t see why you listen to that music anyway.” Ben said. “Alice, don’t you remember the music back in our day?” Ben asked. “Yes, before the EMA?” she answered “Yeah before them, we were music fanatics then, it’s a shame they banned most of the good American music.”
Oliver sighed, and commented “Well it’s better than listening to Mrs. Hiltis singing or screaming next door.” Alice giggled, “That would be true.” chuckled Ben.
Dinner went on in small conversation, until an unexpected interruption at the door.
“Sounds urgent, I wonder what’s going on?” Alice said as she glanced at her husbands white face. She became alarmed and departed to go answered the door. Ben tried to stop her but he could feel was the sensation of a bright light shining on him. Suddenly Dr. Jensen’s face came into his mind. Ben began to panic, and sprinted to the front door only to find Alice’s tan face white, and four or five EMA officers moving into his home.

Out of nowhere Oliver choked out “What’s going on?”
One of the men gave out a smirk, who Ben realized was Dr. Jensen. “Don’t worry, nobody will be hurt, we just need Dr. Zechnor for a few days.” More of the men smiled and when coughed “More like a few months.”
“How can this be, you can’t just take my husband away!” answered Alice startled. Dr. Jensen nodded his head and said “We know this will be tough, but we’ll make this as painless as possible.” “Painless?!” “Yes Mrs. Zechnor, your husband holds secrets and certain talents that we need. And since the occasion is necessary you will be placed under supervision by one of my officers here Jared Garlor.” he pointed to a tall handsome young man, not much older than Ben, with dark hair and large shoulders bearing a EMA badge.

“Surely this won’t be necessary, I can’t just leave my wife and kid, they need me!” said Ben. “You’ll be back soon enough, until then Officer Garlor can stay and guard your family. We’ll send a supply of money the first few days, unless your wife has a job. But if you don’t mind we have no time to waste. Doctor, if you please, go pack what you’ll need and say good bye.”

Alice grabbed her husbands hand, Ben lead her into the bedroom. “Alice, I’m sorry I don’t know what going on, but I’ll figure out something I promise.” whispered Ben as he pulled out a suitcase from under the bed. “Ben, please, why do you have to go?!” Alice replied. “I told you I don’t know, don’t worry about me and take care of Oliver, make sure he knows I’ll be okay” “Okay when will you come back? Do you know?” “I don’t but soon enough. Whatever they plan to do to me, I’ll make sure I’ll come back. But watch out for that Jared Garlor, I don’t trust any of them. Be careful okay?” “I will.” Alice stood and stared at her husband buckling his bag and heading for the door. Ben stopped in front of Alice and gracefully placed his lips to Alice’s cheek, and next her lips. “I promise I’ll get in contact as soon as I can.” Ben said as he kissed Alice’s forehead once more and walked out into the hallway.

Oliver stood at the end of the hallway. He was holding back tears now and his arms were shaking. Ben bent over and looked at him. “Be good for your mother, I’ll see you soon.” Ben whispered as he embraced Oliver.
Alice rushed over to her son and stared as the officers handcuffed her husband and slammed the front door behind them.

1 comment:

Alina said...

Yay! You still write in your blog!